Here are a few things to know about Dyker Heights:
Speculative luxury housing was first developed in Dyker Heights in October 1895 by Walter Loveridge Johnson from woodland. As a wealthy neighborhood, it was able to maintain its status through the 20th century. Tenth Avenue and Thirteenth Avenue and 79th Street and 86th Street were the primary boundaries during the height of his development. A 110-foot hill, about 82nd Street and Eleventh Avenue, contained the finest homes of the development.
The residential community of Dyker Heights has a suburban character, with detached and semi-detached one- and two-family residences. Many of these residences have driveways and private gardens, which are not common in other parts of New York City. There are few apartment buildings in the neighborhood, and the streets are lined with trees. Approximately three sections can be identified within Dyker Heights. An important feature of this area is Dyker Beach Park and Golf Course, located south of 86th Street and east of 7th Avenue. As the name implies, the central section of the neighborhood is more exclusive, extending from Bay Ridge Parkway to 86th Street, as well as between 14th Avenue and Fort Hamilton Parkway. There is a closer integration with surrounding areas at the neighborhood’s northern border. As a civic group representing the interests of Dyker Heights, the Dyker Heights Civic Association was founded in 1928. Lighting displays of all kinds are a common feature of the area, which are usually elaborate.